The RCM regularly responds to consultations from the NHS, governments and other organisations on issues that affect maternity services
Our responses aim to represent members' views and provide an expert midwifery perspective to influence decision makers.
Below are some of the consultations affecting maternity services, midwives, maternity support workers, pregnant women and new mums across the UK. We encourage you to also have your say.
The MBRRACE-UK Signs of Life working group was established to develop guidance to support doctors and midwives with the assessment of signs of life for spontaneous births before 24 weeks of pregnancy where active survival-focused care is not appropriate. This guidance aims to reduce the confusion and distress experienced by parents by increasing consistency in how doctors and midwives assess signs of life in newborn babies. It also aims to increase consistency in the registration of births and deaths of these babies.
The guidance document, which is still in development, is now being released for general consultation. It has been developed by the working group in consultation with many stakeholders, including the RCM. The working group is now undertaking this consultation to seek views on the content of the draft guidance to ensure that the guidance is clear, comprehensive and useful for its intended readers.
The MBRRACE-UK Signs of Life working group wish to hear from a wide range of people, including but not limited to: health professionals, government representatives, charities and organisations that work with women and parents.
The consultation will run for a period of 12 weeks from 16 December 2019, closing on 9 March 2020. It is available here
Recent RCM responses to consultations
- Response to Department of Health and Social Care on changes to the Human Medicine Regulations to support COVID19 vaccines
- Response to the Economic Affairs Committee on Employment and COVID-19
- Response to Department of Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy consultation on domestic abuse in the workplace
- Response to House of Commons Public Accounts Committee inquiry on digital transformation in the NHS
- Response to the Health and Social Care Committee inquiry into workforce burnout and resilience in the NHS and social care
- Response to the Women and Equalities Committee Inquiry - Unequal impact Coronavirus and the gendered economic impact
- Response to the Women and Equalities Committee Inquiry - Unequal impact Coronavirus and BAME people
- Response to the Commission on Alcohol Harm an inquiry into the effects of alcohol on society
- Response to NICE consultation on the draft guideline on behaviour change - digital and mobile interventions
- Response to Scottish Trades Union Congress on the STUC manifesto for social justice
- Response to the Northern Ireland Office on a new legal framework for abortion services in Northern Ireland
- Response to the consultation on NICE's five key areas for quality improvement on Abortion Care
- Response to the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 Call for Evidence
- Comments on the Advancing our Health Green Paper
- Defining the role of integrated care systems in workforce development
- RCM response DHSC learning disability and autism training for staff consultation
- Restricting promotions of products high in fat, sugar and salt by location and by price
- Pregnancy and maternity discrimination: extending redundancy protection for women and new parents
- Improving Multi-Agency Risk Assessment and interventions for victims of domestic abuse
- Advanced Clinical Practice