Winners of the IDM competitions revealed
By Julie Griffiths on 18 May 2018 IDM - International Day of the Midwife
The RCM held a variety of competitions and events for members to take part in to celebrate IDM 2018.
Now an annual event to highlight IDM, the 'Great midwifery cake off 2018' challenged members to design midwifery-themed cakes with the cake with the most likes on Facebook winning a £200 gift voucher prize.
The competition was tough, with a variety of entries (see here), but the winner for this year was Kristina Foley from Warwick Hospital (South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust) and her ‘all birth is beautiful’ creation (see below).
Commenting on her cake, Kristina said: ‘The idea behind the cake is to try and empower all women with the belief that all birth is beautiful.
‘There is different artwork on it including processes, such as cervical dilatation, episiotomy, lactating and more, to try and educate women on these processes and to encourage them to have confidence in their bodies with the belief that all birth is beautiful.’
The best ‘dressed’ IDM event was judged on how well RCM branding could be used to decorate the occasion. Cash prizes of £500 were up for grabs for each of the 13 regions in England, Wales, Scotland and NI.
The winners are listed below and pictures of entries can be viewed here.
- East Midlands: Sherwood Forest Hospital
- East of England: University of Suffolk Midwifery Society
- London: Croydon University Hospital
- North East: Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
- North West: One to One Midwives
- South Central: Oxford University hospital
- South East: Western Sussex Hospital NHS Foundation trust
- South West: Bournemouth birth Centre, Bournemouth Hospital
- West Midlands: University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire
- Yorkshire and the Humber: Sheffield Teaching Hospital
- Wales: Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
- Scotland: The Princess Royal Maternity Hospital
- Northern Ireland: Royal Jubilee Maternity Hospital Belfast
Commenting on the IDM competitions, RCM CEO Gill Walton said: ‘Congratulations to all our IDM participants. The cake entries were really funny and the winner’s cake was amazing! We are really looking forward to IDM next year – let’s see if you can beat the entries this year.’