RCM shines spotlight on excellence announcing annual award winners
Maternity teams increasing the use of prenatal breastmilk, improving outcomes for BAME and vulnerable women and enhancing bereavement care, are among the winners of the Royal College of Midwives (RCM) annual awards announced this week. The 13 categories include maternity support worker of the year, student midwife of the year and an award for RCM union representatives.
Gill Walton, Chief Executive of the RCM, said:
“It is so incredible to see the impact, the quality and breadth of work being done by midwives, maternity support workers and student midwives across the UK, to improve care for women, babies and their families. This work could only be done with the support of directors and heads of midwifery. They empower and support their staff to innovate and to push the boundaries.
“Every entry even if they were not shortlisted or winners is important and precious and has a story to tell about striving to improve services. We can learn from them all about how to make care safer and better by sharing best practice and taking the ideas and using them in our own workplaces. Congratulations to the winners and many, many thanks to all who entered.”
The winners are:
- JOHNSON’S ® Excellence in Midwifery Education, Learning and Research Award - Elizabeth Gomez & Professor Soo Downe, University of Central Lancashire
- JOHNSON’S ®Excellence in Maternity Care and Innovation Award - Sally Sidhu & Jan Gatehouse, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
- Slimming World’s® Caring for You Award - Helen Kerr, Eleanor Ritchie & Patricia Ryan, Luton and Dunstable University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Excellence in Perinatal Mental Health Award - Michelle Harrison & Olivia Snowball, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Pregnacare Student Midwife of the Year Award - Charlotte Ellender, Sheffield Hallam University
- Midwifery Service of the Year Award - Sarah Noble & Rebecca Shaw, South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
- WaterWipes ® Maternity Support Worker of the Year Award - Hazel Harvey, Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- WaterWipes ® Team of the Year Award - Victoria Cranston & Hannah Marsh The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Gabby Dowds-Quinn Members’ Champion Award, sponsored by Thompsons - Rebeccah Davies, The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Trust
- Partnership Working Award - Lynne McDonald, Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Hospitals Foundation Trust
- NMC Midwives' Midwife of the Year Award - Jennifer O'Neill, St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- RCM Leadership Award - Patricia Ryan, Luton and Dunstable University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Excellence in Bereavement Care Award - Linsi Imber & Kirsty Brown, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust.
To contact the RCM media office call 020 7312 3456 or email email@example.com.
Note to editors
For more information on the winners and shortlisted entries in the Royal College of Midwives Annual Awards 2020 visit https://www.rcmawards.com/.
The RCM is announcing the RCM award winners in the week in which International Day of the Midwife is celebrated on 5 May, and during International Year of the Midwife.
The RCM is the only trade union and professional association dedicated to serving midwifery and the whole midwifery team. We provide workplace advice and support, professional and clinical guidance and information, and learning opportunities with our broad range of events, conferences and online resources. For more information visit the RCM website at https://www.rcm.org.uk/.