Online Course: The Science of Dietary Fibre and Digestive Health – for Midwives
This course from British Nutrition Foundation is aimed specifically at midwives.
The online course aims to explain the science behind the different types of dietary fibre, current UK intakes of fibre and the different foods that provide fibre in the diet. It also describes the health benefits a fibre-rich diet has on pregnant women, and the practical ways that pregnant women can increase their fibre intake, including case studies. The course will help midwives give evidence-based advice on how dietary fibre can be helpful in preventing, managing and treating a number of health conditions associated with pregnancy. Midwives will also be able to tailor advice on dietary fibre appropriately based on a woman’s individual health and dietary habits.
The course covers:
Module 1 – The science of dietary fibre
- To understand what dietary fibre is, how it is defined and which foods are sources of dietary fibre
- To understand how fibre forms an important part of a healthy, balanced diet and what the fibre recommendations for pregnant women are
- To understand how nutrition and health claims are regulated and how they apply to dietary fibre
- To understand how dietary fibre can be helpful in the management of nutrition-related problems in pregnancy
Module 2 – The health benefits of dietary fibre
- To understand the potential health benefits of dietary fibre
- To understand how dietary fibre may help to prevent, manage or treat certain conditions in pregnancy
- To be aware of the different types of fibre supplementation and how they should be used in pregnancy
- To understand the energy content of dietary fibre and how it compares to that of the three macronutrients (carbohydrate, protein and fat)
- To understand the possible adverse effects of high dietary fibre intakes
Module 3 – Case Studies
- To put into practice the information provided in the previous two modules
- To be able to give evidence-based advice on how dietary fibre can be helpful in preventing, managing and treating a number of health conditions associated with pregnancy
- To be able to tailor advice on dietary fibre appropriately based on a woman’s individual health and dietary habits.
This course will take approximately 1-2 hours to complete and can be completed at the midwife’s own pace – there is no time limit.
Please click here to register and start the course.