Blackpool maternity services support RCM's staff wellbeing Charter
By RCM on 10 January 2017 Caring For You Charter
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is working with The Royal College of Midwives (RCM) to improve the support available for midwives and maternity colleagues.
The trust’s maternity services have signed the RCM’s Caring for You Charter, which aims to improve the health, safety and wellbeing of midwives. This supports and enables them to continue providing the highest levels of maternity care for women and their families.
Launched in June, the campaign is aiming to get NHS organisations across the UK to sign up to the Caring for You Charter.
RCM Regional Officer for the North West, Lesley Wood, said: “I am delighted that the Trust has signed the Charter. They have a committed team of midwives and maternity support workers at the Trust. This is a very positive move by the Trust and I welcome their commitment to staff and the people they care for.”
When signing the charter, organisations are committing to five key principles:
- Work in partnership with the RCM Health and Safety Representative to develop and implement an action plan about health, safety and wellbeing issues that are important to the maternity workforce and maternity service users.
- Ensure that midwives and maternity support workers have access to a variety of shift patterns and flexible working and promote a positive workplace culture around working time including taking breaks.
- Foster a positive working environment for all by signing up to the RCM/RCOG statement of commitment calling for zero tolerance policy on undermining and bullying behaviours.
- Enable midwives and maternity support workers to access occupational health and other organisational policies for their mental and physical health, safety and wellbeing.
- Nurture a compassionate and supportive workplace that cares for midwives and maternity support workers so that they can care for women and their families.
For a picture of the Charter signing contact the RCM Press Office on 020 7312 3456, or email email@example.com.
Notes to editors
About the RCM
The RCM is the only trade union and professional association dedicated to serving midwifery and the whole midwifery team. It provides workplace advice and support, professional and clinical guidance and information, and learning opportunities with a broad range of events, conferences and online resources. For more information visit the RCM website at www.rcm.org.uk.