Be the RCM's next Director for Scotland
Role: RCM Director for Scotland
Contract: Full Time- 35 hours per week; permanent
Location: Flexible - Choose to be based from the RCM’s Scotland Office in Edinburgh or home based, with travel to RCM UK offices including London HQ, and for other
meetings, events and visits as required
Salary: Starting salary £69,733 per year, and rising incrementally each year (the top of the band is £75,483 per year)
Closing date: Thursday 30 September 2021
Virtual interview date: Tuesday 12 October 2021
Welcome to the RCM
The Royal College of Midwives (RCM) is at an exciting point in our history. We are well positioned to continue to grow our membership and reach more and more midwives and maternity support workers to meet all of
their professional needs.
Our challenge is now to provide the best for our members and continue to campaign and action real change for our midwives and maternity support workers. We strive to be an exemplary employer in everything we do. We are always excited to welcome new people to our team, people who share our vision and values.
Who we are
The RCM is the only professional organisation and trade union dedicated to serving midwifery and the whole midwifery team.
Established in 1881, we were first known as the Matron’s Aid or Trained Midwives Registration Society. We have existed under our present name since 1947.
Our mission is
- Promoting midwifery, quality maternity services and professional standards
- Supporting our members, individually and collectively
- Influencing on behalf of members and the women and families they care for
The vast majority of the midwifery profession are our members.
Representing the interests of midwives and maternity support workers across the UK individually and collectively, we strive to promote excellence, innovation and leadership in the care of childbearing women, the newborn and their families, locally, nationally and internationally.
We provide workplace advice and support, professional and clinical guidance and information, and learning opportunities with our broad range of events, conferences and online resources.
Our mission is to enhance the confidence, professional practice and influence of midwives for the benefit of childbearing women and their families. We strive to operate with integrity, to act in an open and transparent way and to be accessible to members and to support equity in service.
About the role
As the RCM's Director in Scotland, your key purpose is to deliver the agreed RCM objectives in Scotland. You will lead on Scottish specific strategies whilst having input into the development and implementation of all RCM Strategies.
If this sounds like the next exciting challenge for you, please take a look at the RCM Director for Scotland Role Application Pack for further information including the Job Description and Person Specification.
Some of our latest initiatives in Scotland include:
- Tackling Scotland’s social deprivation and inequalities. We have published the blueprint for better maternity care in Scotland where we have identified 5 areas where we want to see action from the Scottish Government in the future.
- We have been closely involved at a national, regional, and local level in the implementation of the Best Start review recommendations. This has at times included challenge where implementation has not had adequate funding, addressed the needs and views of our members and where staffing levels have not been adequate to support safe roll out.
- Negotiation of the national pay deal with staff-side colleagues, including a consultation with our Scottish members.
- The RCM is a key voice in ongoing national work on:
• pregnancy and birth care pathways
• the ongoing development of safe staffing tools
• pre-registration midwifery education provision
• the midwifery career pathway
Your rewards and benefits
Your RCM reward package will include (plus lots more):
- 29 days annual leave per year + 3 extra days between the festive period and New Year + 8 bank holidays
- A flexible working environment with opportunity to work from home
- Professional development opportunities tailored to support your career aspirations with your own personal development budget
- 24/7 support through our Employee Assistance Programme and Corporate discounts
- An attractive pension scheme
The RCM is committed to equal opportunities in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. The RCM strives to ensure that all new, existing or prospective members of staff are treated in a fair and equal manner.
The RCM is a disability confident committed employer, and we invite all disabled job applicants meeting the job description essential criteria to interview.
We have a collective Team Vision, which we all follow when working together whilst delivering our Business Plan. You will be asked during the recruitment process how you reflect our vision and values.
How to apply
Please complete an application form available from our website or email [email protected]. For further information including the Job Description and Person Specification please take a look at the RCM Director for Scotland Role Application Pack.
Closing Date: Thursday 30 September 2021
Virtual Interview & Assessment Date: Tuesday 12 October 2021