- The contribution of continuity of midwifery care to high quality maternity care PDF
A report by Professor Jane Sandall for the RCM
- Tackling FGM in the UK - Intercollegiate recommendations for identifying, recording and reporting PDF
RCM and Intercollegiate Group launches ground-breaking recommendations for tackling Female Genital Mutilation.
- Freestanding Midwifery Units: Local, high quality maternity care - Busting the Myths PDF
The purpose of this paper is to present a balanced source of evidence-based information, which can help challenge some of these myths and misconceptions about FMUs, and their role within the overall context of maternity care organisation and service delivery.
- Trends in Freestanding Midwife-led Units in England and Wales 2001-2013 PDF
This report has been written by BirthChoiceUK for the Royal College of Midwives to show changes in freestanding midwife-led units in England and Wales during the period between April 2001 and February 2013.
- Working with Birthrate Plus® by Jean A Ball and Marie Washbrook & The RCM PDF
A guide to using the online midwifery workforce planning tool which can be used to give you assurance about quality and safety.
- Specialist Mental Health Midwives - What they do and why they matter PDF
This document aims to help explain why Specialist Mental Health Midwives are needed, and what they do. It is intended as a resource for maternity managers and commissioners looking to introduce or strengthen the Specialist Mental Health Midwife role in their local service. We hope that it will aid discussions and lead to improvements in local provision.
- RCM/CSP Joint Statement on Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises PDF
(Joint statement on improving health outcomes for women following pregnancy and birth in relation to Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises) June 2013
- RCM, RCGP &RCOG Consensus statement on the role of the General Practitioner in Maternity Care PDF
(Joint Consensus statement with The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP), Royal College of Midwives (RCM) and Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) October 2011
- RCOG/RCM statement on umbilical cord blood collection and banking PDF
(Joint Statement with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) August 2011
(Joint Statement with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) April 2007 PDF
- Immersion in Water During Labour and Birth
(Joint Statement with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) April 2006 PDF
- Lead Midwife in Diabetes: Standards, Role and Competencies
The Royal College of Midwives working with NHS Diabetes have developed a standards document which comprises an agreed role specification and a standards and competency framework for the LMD role. This can be used by maternity teams and commissioners of service to provide advice and guidance to midwives. November 2010 PDF
Standards for Maternity Care - Report of a Working Party
(Joint report with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health) June 2008 PDF
- Safer Childbirth: Minimum Standards for the Organisation and Delivery of Care in Labour
(Joint report with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health) October 2007 PDF
- Safeguarding Children and Young people: roles and competences for health care staff
Intercollegiate document. September 2010 PDF / Introductory Text / FAQs